Monday, March 29, 2010

Summer camp is ending. 3/27/10

3/27/10
Summer camp is over. On Friday we had our swearing in ceremony at the American Embassy in San Salvador and in the morning we met with our counterparts at a local hotel. Our counterparts are people that live in our communities who will help us get acclimated and will be there in case we have questions or need something over the next 2 years. Some of them had never been to San Salvador. To give you an idea how crazy that is.. El Salvador is the size of Massachusetts.
Swearing in was at the ambassador’s residence at the American Embassy. It was pretty nice to say the least. Our host families were invited and I wish I could explain how they felt about it. I don’t think they have ever seen anything like it. After taking the oath we had dinner and our host families INDULGED. Not only did they eat... but they packed enough food in their purses and bags for the rest of the village. It was hilarious. I think my host mom left with at least 7 hamburgers and 15-20 small deserts in her purse and little bag. It’s not very often that they get to go to a free buffet style dinner and not have to pay.
Later in the night we all went out to party at an open bar. All the volunteers from around the country came in for the party. So there were about 150 of us. It was really fun. At one point as the music was blasting and the drinks were flowing I said to one volunteer…”something tells me Peace Corps Botswana is not having the same party tonight.” Overall it was a solid night. I didn’t get back home until 5 a.m. I had to be up at 7 to get my bus to the town I am going to live in for the next 2 years. I was not in any shape for that bus ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment