Tuesday, February 16, 2010

feeling better

February 12th 2010. “You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you”
Back home now. Lying under my mosquito net. Just took a bucket shower and I feel much better. It was well into the mid 90’s today with lots of humidity.
So apparently my madre is super insecure right now because our entire village and the next two villages after ours know that her voluntario (me) was taken to San Salvador because he was sick. Which is understood by the locals as my madre didn’t cook my food in the correct manner or didn’t boil my water properly. So now all the other women in town are gossiping. I kind of feel bad for her because I’m sure it was not her fault that I got sick.
Although it was not fun being sick, it was good to have a night in a hotel to rest up and refresh. I also got the day off from training. Today I talked with a good friend who is studying for his Ph.D. in England and it was nice to hear that when he moved there he had the same feelings of “did I make the right choice”. We talked for about a half hour and when I hung up I was happy and feeling good about what I was doing.
My host sister made me dinner tonight… fried bananas and bread…for what feels like the 7th night in a row. Im really getting sick of that meal. So tonight I thought I would be slick and sneak it under the table to the dogs… well the dogs apparently don’t like fried bananas either. So then I had to sneak a napkin to the floor and pick them back up! Ooo the joys of El Salvador.
Its 7:30 and the sound of the rats scrambling on the roof are going to put me to sleep. Up at 5 A.M.
Paz Y Amor.
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment