Thursday, February 4, 2010

San Vicente Day 2

hey everyone I am really going to try and keep up with this blog. So we arrived in El Salvador late last night. Tonight is our 2nd night staying in a dingy, filthy, absolutely disgusting hotel. We have mud in our shower. This morning when we went to shower there was no running water, yet we all are happy and have smiles on our faces. I have a feeling the next 2 years are going to change my life in ways I can't even imagine right now.

Today we met most of the in country Peace Corps staff-- including the Country Director. They all have pretty amazing resumes and have all been Peace Corps Volunteers(PCV'S) themselves. They are here to help us prepare for what we will be doing once we finish training. They have made it clear they want to see us succeed and that they will do anything to help us get there.

It has only been one day, but from the energy at the training center from the staff and the current PCV'S i think the next 2 years will be magical. I know they will not be easy and they are going to challenge all of us. but this is what we signed up for and we will be successful. Today one our trainers said this... you were selected because you have what it takes. 2/3 of Peace Corps applicants are rejected. "Peace Corps Volunteers know what they want. Know how to get it. And they do it. "

Tomorrow we will moving in with our host families who we will live with for the next 7 weeks. We were told they will definitely have electricity and possibly running water. and that we may think is primitive... but it will be luxorious compared to what our permenent sites will be.

that its for tonight. its hot (about 94 degrees) and I'm tired. Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. Is it likely to have internet connection in the village you're staying? If running water is a "maybe" ...? We wanna hear from you everyday!!!!!! I'll put a call into the government. No worries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up with the blog that way... I know you're still out there... and it will help me find you when I come to vist... I remember april 1st I can come bother you...

    Love you & miss you

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete